I’m continuing on with my “Thirty, Flirty and Thriving” Series! This week I’m going to share with you all 30 things about me. I’ve never done a “Get to Know Me” blog so I’m actually excited to be able to share with you all some fun facts about me.
- I was named after my great-grandmother. This is probably why you don’t know any other Videllia’s right now. Short but funny story: apparently my mom and her cousin were competing back in the day on who would have a girl first. The first girl would get to inherit the name Videllia. This was a big deal because my great-grandmother was a phenomenal woman. Anywho, I came out the rose garden (hehe) first so I got to inherit the name. My brother continued the tradition and gave Videllia as the middle name for my niece (she’s so adorable).
- I’m not into pets. I’m not afraid of them but I just don’t like them. Except really small ones. I really want a teacup poodle one day. Haha. And it’s funny because my favorite cartoon shows growing up were Underdog and Scooby-Doo lol.
- I am the oldest of 4. I have two younger brothers (28 and 27) and a younger sister (10).
- I had a rough upbringing. My mother and dad struggled to be there for me growing up. They were living in the world and I was raised by my grandmother through my 9th grade year when she passed. I spent a little time in foster care as well but was so glad to get back home with my family.
- My first written article was posted in the Fort Worth Star Telegram in 2006! It was our city’s local newspaper (you know when print media was still hot). I was super excited about this accomplishment and still have the newspaper clipping in my files now.
- I graduated at the top of my high school class. Graduating as valedictorian really opened up a lot of doors for me. I was able to attend the University of Texas at Austin for four years on a full ride. Thanks to the state, UT and Coca-Cola, I was awarded with enough scholarship money to fund my education, making me the first in my family to successfully attend and graduate college with my Masters in Professional Accounting. I eventually obtained my Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license as well.
- Grad school gave me about $40K in student loan debt!!! OMG!!! But as of October 15, 2017 (this year!) I can now say that I am officially debt free! I have paid off all of my student loans! Won’t he do it?! Won’t he will?! Outside of my student loans, I have no other debt. I am currently saving and searching to buy a house.
- I was engaged once. (Yep – bet you didn’t know that lol). I also am the one that called it off. It was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life. Eventually I’ll share that with all of you.
- I have always desired to be a writer. From an early age, I used to write short books and illustrate them. My goal was to publish my first book by 30. I didn’t quite meet that goal this year BUT I have been working on my book and have a draft version in the works. Hoping to bring this to print in 2018.
- In 2017, I authored a fabulous KnowYourWorth series which I plan to turn into an eBook. You can check it out here.
- Even though I love taking selfies, I sometime still struggle with seeing and hearing myself on camera or on video! People keep telling me I have a great voice for podcasting and Youtubing but I don’t see that lol. Speaking of which…go subscribe to my YouTube channel (haha). Just search for: only1lady_v
- Domestic violence is very important to me because of my own encounter with it. I wasn’t physically abused but I did spend time in two controlling and verbally abusive relationships. You can read about one of them here.
- Every year since I’ve turned 25 I believe, I have taken a trip out of the country. My goal is to go to at least one new country every year. So far, I’ve been to the Bahamas, Mexico, Canada and Costa Rica. Next year, my plan is to go to Spain.
- I’ve worn glasses since 7th grade and only when I turned 28 did I start wearing contacts. Posted a picture without my glasses and got so much attention I started feeling myself and thus birthed the glass-less selfies you see now lol.
- My style has evolved a lot over the years. You may not believe this but in college, going out to me was wearing a tank top, some shorts and air force ones lol. I thank God for my friends Ashley and Joanna who made me put on heels one day. That’s all these long legs needed!
- I sang in choir all throughout high school and college and was able to sing backup with our choir groups to some amazing gospel artists. These included – Kirk Franklin, JJ Hairston, Twinkie Clark, Marvin Saap and more. But I’m no saanngger – I just do well at backup and harmonizing so don’t ask me to sing for you lol.
- My favorite thing to do at church is praise dance. I also love to sit in the front of the church. It limits distractions and makes me think I’m closer to Jesus.
- I have no kids. Yep. None. And I’m not sad about it lol. Kids will come in due time and I’m in no rush. Fortunately, I have a whole host of nieces/nephews/and little cousins that take up all of my money.
- I was in a car accident right after I graduated college. Totaled my car. I could’ve lost my life BUT GOD!!! I still have a scar on my face from the accident and I wear it proudly as a reminder of God saving me.
- I am EXTREMELY clumsy. In fact, one time I sprain my knee (like yeah who sprains their knee right?). I had to go to the doctor because it hurt so bad. When they asked me how I did it, I couldn’t give them a straightforward answer because I had hit my knee on so many things and ran into so many things, I couldn’t remember exactly what I did to cause the sprain.
- I had surgery almost a year ago. It was my first surgery. Fortunately everything went smoothly. My next surgery needs to be my wisdom teeth (according to my dentist) but I aint tryna hear it.
- I started my blog in Feb 2014 after I got after the abusive relationship I mentioned before. However, I didn’t really become active on it until December 2016.
- I could probably eat Mexican food all day! I love some good queso and enchiladas. I also love soul food – especially meatloaf. Yum!!!
- I have a burnt orange Dodge Nitro – my first car after college – and I call her the She-Rex because the left and right mirrors stick out like tiny T-rex arms (haha).
- My favorite colors are purple and orange and my favorite print is leopard. Idk why I just love those colors.
- My favorite TV shows of all time – other than the cartoons I listed above are A Different World, I Love Lucy and The Game (when Tia Mowry and Pooch Hall were on there).
- My favorite movies are Dirty Dancing and Pretty Woman and I also really love Pitch perfect.
- I actually really love watching reality tv shows. Like it is my guilty pleasure. I haven’t added any new shows because I know God isn’t wanting me to watch it but it’s hard to let go of my other ones.
- For my 30th birthday, I am celebrating it by having a Back to the 90s party! I’m super excited and I can’t wait to share that with you all.
- Every year for my birthday, in lieu of birthday gifts, I ask my guests to bring gifts to donate to a local charity in my city. In year’s past, I’ve donated flowers to a breast cancer center for one of it’s patients, non-perishable items and a monetary donation to a local food pantry and clothes, TV’s and living room furniture to a not-for-profit that my friend started. This year was no different. This year, my friends and I are donating household items to Family Place – a local domestic violence shelter in Dallas. This is just one of the ways that I give back through the year because I believe that every year God gives you life, you ought to be a blessing to others.
So that’s it!! 30 things all about me. I have one more blog in my Thirty, Flirty and Thriving series and I can’t wait to share it with you all next week. Until then, stay blessed!